View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
bennylava

Re: how much sound deadener

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ good reading here. Some people cover every square inch of the interior. I personally covered mine in strips and squares strategically placed to cover around 30% of all the larger areas. Remeber, the butyl based stuff dampens harmonics, it does not block sound!! Question: How much of a cymbal do you need to cover with your hand to make it go "tink tink" as opossed to "crash, bang, clang"? Answer: not very much. After a certain point you begin to get diminishing returns. You spend more money and add more weight to the truck just to obtain that extra little bit. If it's worth it to you to blanket the whole cab, then go for it but just remember that most harmonics get dampened with strips and squares. True sound deadening is a series of steps and products that all work together. Edit: the inside of the doors are quite important to dampen too. I covered the inside of them at least 50%. They are a huge flat panel exposed to lots of vibrations.
There is only one problem with that. There could be areas that don't get covered, that still resonate. To make 100% sure you killed ALL resonance, you'd have to coat everything with the deadener. If you did decibel tests, you'd probably find that vehicles with targeted and less coverage, made slightly more sound than those that coated the entire inside.

Then again, you could probably test for it and find those areas and target those as well with deadener. I don't know how you'd go about it, but you should be able to test any given area and see how much it resonates. If it added up to be something that would produce sound when going down the road, coat it with dynamat. My guess would be that few people that target specific areas do this. But that way, you could still skip a lot of areas that aren't going to be producing any noise. But still cover everything that will. People who skip a lot are probably still getting some noises from a few places. Its just that they don't notice much cause they covered the main parts and it makes a big difference.

So that would be the reason I would just coat nearly everything. I want maximum sound damping. Sometimes I like to drive for a long time and it gets tiresome listening to that racket. Plus if you have a high quality sound system, it makes it sound so much better.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote