View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
peeblesj

Re: LearnAsIGo-69 LWB 5.3-Updating a Classic

Now I have thoroughly read many posts on here about buying foam and cutting it to fit. Figured I might as well give it a try since the precut stuff is crazy expensive. I did not get nearly as detailed as others did when cutting the profile of the bottom cushion, but so far I am more than happy with how the seat is turning out.

I bought the foam from www.foambymail.com. I bought a 6" thick x 22" wide x 62" long piece of Lux Foam-High Quality for the bottom as well as a 1" x 22" x 62" piece of Lux Foam for the back. The bottom piece was about $70 and the back piece was about $17. Shipping was free with a $75+ order. Was at my door within a week.

I chose this foam because of the research that user bollybib did.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=456911&page=9

I went with the foam that was closest to his findings for the density and firmness. I am very pleased with the foam that I bought and would recommend www.foambymail.com to anybody.

Anyway, like I said, I did not cut my foam to near the perfection that others have. I cut the side reliefs for the seat springs as well as chamfered around the top and back of the bottom seat cushion. The back cushion was just trimmed to fit. I also bought batting from JoAnn Fabric as well as the burlap. I went with black burlap just as a personal preference.

I used 3M super 77 to glue the burlap to the back of the foam. Then laid the batting on top of the foam. This helped position the cover. I bought hog rings from Amazon which were super cheap and worked great. Then for the listing wire in the cover, I used 12 ga hanger wire for drop ceilings. Worked very well in my opinion.

I have the back of the seat completed as well as 80% of the bottom. Here are a few pictures.
Attached Images

peeblesj is offline   Reply With Quote