View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #442
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
I DROVE! I DROVE MY TRUCK today! they are building a new neighborhood across the street. the streets and curbs are done but they haven't started building a single house. I thought that would be a good place to test drive. I got to the end of the block and saw I was almost out of gas. I didn't want to have any issue that might be caused by low fuel so I drove about 1/2 mile to 7/11. i let the truck idle while I gassed up.drove back to the neighborhood. gave it some gas and squealed the tires pretty good. squealed around the first corner then a cul-de-sac. brought it back and parked in the driveway. here is my assessment after the 5 mile-ish drive 1) the idle isn't right. when I start it up in the garage it ides great but the in-gear idle isn't close. it didn't die nor even try but it got low enough that I worried about it. I got out and gave the idle screw a small tap but I believe this carb has duel idle screws. I'm going to research that tonight and get the idle right. 2) from tip in to about 1/2 throttle its a freaking monster. couldn't hardly keep the tires from squealing. however and there is always a "however" after half throttle it didn't want to accelerate any more. it would but it wasn't shifting as I expected. it was then I realized I hadn't hooked up the transmission cable yet. so I will figure that out this weekend as well. right now that's it. being behind the wheel of my truck after a year was almost magic. my guts are still smiling.
There was once an article in RodAction Magazine back in the seventies that described that first drive, and how all the busted knuckles and such were forgotten, it's so true, so true.

So cool, thanks for posting about it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote