View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
weim55

Re: What is the factory limited slip in HO 52's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
14-bolt axles can be used with about 3/4" taken off the ends. People do this to enable using 14-bolt differential parts, such as R&P that is not available new (I don't think) for HO52. Also, 14-bolts came in 3.73 and 3.42 ratios. I had a guy call me looking deperately for drums to get his '72 rollback inspected to meet the minimum fleet requirement of a contract he was going for. He needed that truck passed like yesterday. I pondered a minute and thought about the whole diff/axle swap, then people adapting 14-bolt disc brake kits to HO rears and told him to try backing plates out off a 14-bolt. The next day he called to thank me for the suggestion. He got that contract. That's common knowledge now, but I had never seen it done here or anywhere back then. The 14-bolt was the next corporate rear. Not as much changed from the HOs on the inside, mostly size and shape outside
Wow?! So are you saying the later ('73 up) brake assy. with backing plates were a bolt on to that HO52?! I know it's a long shot for that type of exchange on an HO52 as old as my '50 but I'll certainly look into it. Looking to swap out the old huck style brakes anyway...........

Thanks,

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote