View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Re: 67-72 frame conversion for 63 Knee Knocker Cab and Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
My 'Recycle' build is based on a 68lwb frame but I don't have specific pics per say of the 'differences':

Front frame horns different height & physical shape
Radiator core support mounts (fore/aft location vs front x-member C/L)
Radiator core support mount height (63-66 core support vs. 67-72)
Front splash apron (specific to post 66 trucks?)
Rear cab mount height

I have seen a pre 67 body on a post 66 frame w/o doing any mods other than cutting the frame horns off (they installed a crude roll-pan). While it physically swapped, you could tell things were not square & were binding @ the mounts. I preferred an OE/professional look for my swap & opted to relocated & change things as necessary.

For the 5-lug swap, I would get replacement axles in for the 5-lug pattern if you know your current rear end is decent. The axle swap is fairly easy (especially vs swapping another housing into place) & you'll have 100% new, zero bearing wear, stronger than OE axles vs. 30yr old axles. Then just get some 71-72 drums from your local parts store.
I have the 2 frames side by side and see the differences along with the similarities.
I am using an old LWB frame for all of the donor parts (cross members, supports etc.) and as a template for hole placement etc. etc..
I think it will be worth the trouble in the end.
I will also be boxing a good portion of the frame as the torque from the motor I am using will be a factor. I don't want a roll cage if I can avoid it.
Your link to your build didn't work. I'll look for it.

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote