View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
Shady Rascal

Re: 2-4 drop question

A lot of folks spending your money here without warning you as to what they're leading you in to.

Drop spindles ARE awesome for a lot of reasons. But, your truck, being a 70 model, will have front drum brakes. If you install drop spindles you'll also have to convert to disc brakes. So you'd be buying rotors, calipers, pads, brake dust shields, spindle hardware, new front brake hoses, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and replacing your front brake piping. Then you'll need to worry about whether your wheels will clear disc brakes. Some 6 lug wheels will not. So, we've spent a large pile of your money now, and prescribed a ton of work. You will have significantly better brakes when all is said and done though.

Or, you could install a pair of drop coil springs and be done without any further expense.

The downside to the drop coils is it won't ride as well as drop spindles and the brakes will be exactly what you have right now. It won't ride bad, just not exactly stock like. But, you'll save north of 500 odd dollars.

Myself, I always cut one coil off of the stock front springs. It gives a 2" drop and costs nothing. I personally think they ride nicer than store bought lowering springs too. They ride softer.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote