View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #30
Ramjet51

Re: Ramjet51 67 SBFS BUILD

IDIDIT 30” Tilt column shift

Well after 11 weeks the IDIDIT column arrived, as specified, complete, no issues with quality...although...this column length IMHO is perfect for manual trans and floor shifter automatics, it’s just not perfect as a column shift unit due to length, it needs to be 1” longer. Even after getting the column as close as possible to the dash (the machined slot in the column helps this) I had to modify the stock firewall mount in order to attach the shifter arm on the bottom of the column.
- I wanted to use the stock mount and firewall rubber seal
- I wanted to retain as much beef in this mount as possible
- I wanted to keep the clock position of the arm on the column (yes, I did try other clock positions but due to the length of the column, the arm hit the firewall if I rotated it out of stock position)
So, what I had to do was “slot” the stock firewall mount about 3/4” to allow upward travel of the shifter arm....first photo...once installed and painted, you can see that I’ve got full travel although the jury is still out about the arm clearance once my shifter cable is installed at a later date. Currently there is only around 3/8” clearance at the closet point.

Suggestions..if you go this route you may want to consider the additional purchase of the offset shifter arm offered by IDIDIT ($6.09 via JEGS or Summit, mine is on order). When the time comes, at least it’ll be here to use if I find after installation of shifter arm bushings and cable retainers something hits the firewall.
Attached Images