View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 02:05 AM   #20
60sIron

Re: Dana 44 closed knuckle disc brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadelitvany@shaw.ca View Post
I was hoping to have a few questions solved re:1962 GMC 3/4 Ton 4x4 front Disk brake conversion.I have learned a lot from the previous posts but still have some issues.
1.The original drum and backing plate is removed and replaced with newer GMC caliper mounting plate.(What year will fit and must it be off of a 4x4?)
2.The axle spindle must be replaced because of the caliper/rotor positioning?What year of spindle,rotor and disc would work best?
3.The original outer axle needs machining 1.312" to fit the newer spindle with needle bearing vs. bushing ?
4.What vacuum booster and master cylinder / proportioning valve would work best?
5.When this is put together,what is the best lubricant for the closed knuckle?
Thanks everybody in advance for the input

I haven't done this yet myself but researched it enough I think I can answer you questions. Some of your questions depend on 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton.
1. Yes off a dana 44 with disc brakes 6 lug or 8 depending on what you have.
2. Yes that's why the spindle must be replaced. Again I don't think it matters just a dana 44 again 6 or 8 lug.
3. Yes it needs to be turned down to fit the needle bearings.
4. Depends on the year of you truck. If it's 67-69 you could just use what they used on the newer models that came with disc brakes. If your truck is a 60-66, look up Capt. Fab for your answer. If you still have a single master clyinder be prepared to bend some new brake lines.
5. I've never used anything but 90w in both my closed knuckle 44s with no issues.
Hope that helps
60sIron is offline   Reply With Quote