View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
James the III

Re: Tablet as a head unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Im thinking it may be possible to use a tablet as a complete headunit and more

The desirable functions would include everything a better gps has plus music via blue tooth speakers . I left a 7 x 6 square in my dash to accommodate it. Aware of all the legal issues but would treat it as a gps.

Heres a partial list of desirable functions

GPS (with its own gps chip)
speedometer
phone interface
music playback
am fm satellite
you name it.

heck even some of the radar and new collision avoidance stuff would be nice. The tablet could be upgraded as new features become available. Any ideas?
It's a nice idea.. but no one makes a tablet with am/fm radio..
nor do they offer an output at line level, and the internal sound circuit would sound like garbage outside the tiny speakers in the unit or ear buds..
most blue tooth speakers that are mde for use with a phone/taplet have a built in eg to make up for the crap compression..

It be nice if say Samsung/etc. made a tablet with a fm/am tuner.. and switchable speaker level and line level sound out through the ubs..

An in-dash touch screen head units are not that much anymore..
And anything the tablet does it does.. only thing I wish they has as an output for a solid state drive for music storage..
And wifi so you can use your phone as a hot spot and stream your music from your cloud..

I'd really like a touch screen with an outboard ecu unit.. this way you can always update/upgrade as the unit in use becomes outdated..

And why I'm looking at using a small desk top as a server with solid state drives and a sound board/card.. hooked to a in dash screen..
I just have to research how to load android on it.. to run the screen/ect..

Last edited by James the III; 02-24-2017 at 01:27 PM.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote