View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
jeffahart

Re: Used Axle Inspection Before Purchase

Look at the axle tubes. If they look straight they probably are. I really doubt they are bent. Unless the cucv they came off of was in a hairy wreck they are most likely good axles. The army doesn't just let the troops thrash stuff. You are held accountable to some extent. Anyhow, you can pull the caps off the top of the kingpins dig out the grease and look at the pins. The bottom bearing last if they have grease, not so with the top bushings. Odds are they are fine and only the busing and springs would need to be replaced. You should do the bushings anyway. The pin you don't want to do unless you have to! But for inspection, usually if you yank off the diff cover and it has oil and not water then you are probably good. But you could go the extra mile and take axle stands and pull the thing apart. How does your friend feel about that. If you get a good deal I would grab it. Go check out the price of GM front D60s. If it's a good deal you may be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

But then again I have not seen the axles.

Also you know if the cucv is M1008, you will be getting 4.56 gear set and a rear Detroit locker with the axle set.