View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: OMNI vs. DELTRON Advice

I notice no one has responded to your request. Listen, I am out of the paint business now for 20 years so I didn't want to comment being I don't know what the Deltron and the OMNI is like TODAY, it could be quite different.

But when I was a paint rep OMNI was new on the market, and Deltron was FAR superior then.

But at the same time, I wasn't a PPG rep, I was a Sherwin Williams rep, actually a Martin Senour rep which is a line of S/W paint sold through NAPA parts stores.

Soooooo, unless you get a PPG rep to really give you the lowdown you don't know. I say this because Martin Senour had a "Value line" like OMNI called "MSU" (Martin Senour Urethane) a fleet single stage paint that sold for $100 a sprayable gallon. Yep, every color, three quarts of color and a quarter of hardener, ready to go, $100 (or right about a $100, $96 or $102, I don't remember exactly.)

Ok, so they had the "Value line" MSU and then they had a SS Urethane called "Nitram" (Martin backwards, cute huh!) that sold for $300-600 a sprayable gallon depending on the color. The 30 toners that made those colors went for $200 to $400 a gallon. The MSU had 14 toners that all sold for $85 a gallon no matter what color.

Ok, so they had a "value line" and the high end line ok. I had the color lab in Chicago match a color for me making a formula for a customer with the MSU. When I got the formula I noticed that the toner numbers were scratched out and re-written. The number they scratched out were the HIGH END NUMBERS! WTH! I did some research and found they were exactly the same! The MSU line simply only used 14 of the Nitram 30 toners thus it only had about 1200 color formulas where the high end one had about 13,000. With a little more research over time it was confirmed by people in the company that these two lines were EXACTLY the same product! So you could buy a gallon of ready to spray paint in MSU for $100 or buy it in Nitram for $600, it's your choice! LOLOLOLOL

Damn I love marketing! And this happened over and over when I had that job, relabeling products is VERY common, so damn interesting.

But in the same note, I have witnessed "value lines" being CRAP that needed three times as many coats to cover and that sort of thing, so unless you get REAL info, you don't know if that OMNI will do the job you are after or if you should move up to the Deltron.

All I can say is this, when you talk about the work involved to shoot that truck, when it's all said and done that $550 difference isn't crap. I wouldn't think for a second to spend that extra money! My time is just too valuable.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote