Thread: BC/CC tips
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
72HuggerK20

Re: BC/CC tips

You're right with the color technique. You don't want to spray it super wet. You just want each coat to "seal" for lack of a better term. Base dries down flat no matter how much texture it appears to have when spraying it.

As far as clear, I assume that you're spraying in a garage, not a booth. The 3/4 coat technique followed by a full wet coat is very common to reduce the chance of getting runs. In your case (this is the only time I'd recommend going off label too) I think you should follow the 3/4 coat with two full wet coats. The reason being, it's a classic truck that you're doing an overall paint job on, so you want a glassy smooth finish rather than one with a factory style orange peel. The other reason is that you're not in a booth, so there will be dirt nibs no matter how hard you try to prevent it. If you can't already see where I'm going, I'm telling you that it's in your best interest to cut and buff.

Now, the reason for the extra coat of clear is to give you a little extra room to completely cut all of the orange peel out. Assuming that you don't sand and buff clear every day, you're going to want that extra room so you don't burn through as easily. If you do apply 3 coats, however, you must pay attention to your flash times so that you don't get solvent pop. Touch a piece of tape after your second coat, and when you pull your finger off and it's stringy, you're good to shoot the last coat.
72HuggerK20 is offline   Reply With Quote