View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
66Submarine

Re: Edelbrock carb hard starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccomb View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys I will run up to the parts store and get me one of those spacers. I have a regular mechanical fuel pump, and I still have the tank in the stock location behind the seat. Are the mechanical fuel pumps prone to putting out too much fuel pressure? I also have a wix fuel filter in line under the cab. Thanks for giving me the exact part number makes it idiot proof. haha
The big-pressure pump described was a generic "Airtex" brand stamped-together mechanical pump. I've heard of other guys having similar problems with the new pumps like that; I personally like the ones that screw together (I ran a real 50's AC-Delco pump I rebuilt on my 283).

I also think (IIRC) that the later SBC pumps (some of them, anyway) are spec'd at 6-8PSI to begin with, which everyone seems to agree is too much for the Carter carbs to deal with.

Never hurts to test the pressure and see what it is. If you search "sbc mechanical fuel pump pressure" you get a lot of results from pumps putting out too much pressure.