View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
A.Bursell

67 Ignition Switch Wiring Help

Hello,

Long story short, decided to do a little cleanup inside my 67 today, while waiting for degreaser to work on the steering/suspension. Project snowballs as I look under the dash for the first time ever (!) and find the ignition switch wire harness is spliced together. I'm not real surprised, as I have fixed several other spots of wiring on the truck. Everything worked, no problems, I just don't think twisting wires together and covering with electrical tape or using wire tap-ins or household wire nuts is the right way to do things. Everything I have fixed I have crimped together with weatherproof connectors and heat shrunk after (even inside I like to do this).

Anyway, I decided to go after the ignition switch wiring and get it fixed up. I was a little nervous about working in a tight area, but I found that if I unplugged everything and popped the defroster vent out, I could bring the wire harness up on top of the dash and work on it there. Much better!

My question is about a couple wires. There is a 10 gauge solid brown wire that shares the same terminal as a 14 gauge brown/white wire. The 10 gauge wire does not have a mate. It didn't when I took it apart. It was just capped. Also, there is a light gray terminal that does not seem to plug in anywhere, but it is near the ignition switch. It has two light gray wires coming into the terminal. When I found it, it had the other terminal plugged into it and the wire capped.

I suspect my ignition switch is from a later truck (it feels like it has an accessory position, but I don't believe my 67 is supposed to). I'm wondering if the brown wire is part of a replacement harness for a later model truck that is not used in mine? And the gray wire I have no idea what it is for.

I have looked in my wire diagram book and not having any luck.

Thanks,

Adam
Attached Images

A.Bursell is offline   Reply With Quote