View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Refining "Sierra"

So now that Sierra has become cozy in her spot of prominence in my garage, I decided to evaluate what she needed. The last owner had done a round of maintenance that included a transmission service. Now the trans pan is leaking, so I am suspecting the pan bolts need to be snugged up. He had the rear axle serviced, and it appears to be seeping too. Again, I will assume it needs the bolts checked for tightness.

The valve cover gaskets were replaced as well, but I still see some wet spots on the motor. I'm not sure if they are seeping, or its leaking somewhere else. I plan to pressure wash the motor, transmission, and rear end and do a snug check on all the bolts related. This will let me know whats next. I cant stand a leaking drive-train, so that will be attended to promptly.

In the interim, I took notes of what the interior needed. It had been recently restored with new upholstery and carpet, but the foam in the seat was collapsing on the drivers side. I found a local mobile upholstery repair service (Cypress Upholstery) to resolve that issue. He removed the bench seat, installed new foam where needed, and stretched the seat tight again. Now my left cheek doesn't feel like its hanging off the edge any more.

The stereo has been upgraded with a full Kenwood system and speakers. Unfortunately the shop that installed it wasnt concerned with how well the new 4x10s fit in the stock brackets behind the seat. That combined with a stock package tray that had seen better days once it was exposed to the light of day while the seat was out required some attention.

After removing everything and cleaning the accumulation of dead seat foam and dust, I discovered a cab floor that was pristine. It was evident that this truck had spent its life in a dry environment.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-30-2015 at 11:06 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote