View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
theastronaut

Re: The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Factory Correct Restoration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
Instead of having to mix your own paint I have found that Autocolor Library has the original Ditzler paint codes for all the 64, 65, 66 trucks. PPG bought Ditzler out and in their OMNI series of regular enamal paint they have the formulas for the original colors. On the Interior paints it is mixed with a lot of reducer in it to flatten the color, i.e if you would normally add reducer 1:1 for Medium Fawn Metalic a exterior color, the interior color medium fawn metalic has so much reducer in it that you only add 1/8th or 1/16th the reducer when you get ready to shoot it .
All of the exterior colors are available in OMNI single stage and also in Base Coat Clear Coat.

www.autocolorlibrary.com Kieth
I've known about Autocolor Library for awhile, but they didn't have the engine colors. We have a local paint shop that is great at matching colors in almost any paint line without having a code to go by as long as you have a sample. I couldn't imagine spraying over-reduced Omni; that stuff is already weak to begin with. If you ever have the chance to watch them mix Omni, notice the ratio of pigment/toners to clear binders they use, its doesn't have anywhere near the pigments in it that higher quality paint does- thus it takes more coats to cover than a better paint. I used Spies Hecker basecoat so that the metalic would be more visible and could adjust the amount of hardener/reducer to achieve the sheen I was going for. Metalic single stage urethane or enamel doesn't have the same look as the original lacquer paint did back when these trucks were new. I've tried single stage metalic urethane with flattener added and the flattener really screwed with the metallic; made it cloudy looking. I hadn't been painting long when I restored the '65 and using basecoat without the clear was best way I knew how to replicate the original lacquer look. I would like to try slighly overthinned urethane clear with flattener added to see how that looks over fawn basecoat.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote