Thread: Rpm to high?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #8
jocko

Re: Rpm to high?

assuming your speedo is accurate (I'd confirm with a GPS before doing anything else), ga-stepside is spot on, it's a 4.56.

Red dashed line below is your config - even if you have a different muncie, and not a granny 4 speed, they all have 1:1 4th gear, so highway rpm is as shown. Chart below shows what you'd be looking at for RPM with multiple different overdrive transmissions - or if you changed to a 3.73. Or both. A couple notes -
- I wouldn't go with a T5 unless you were just cruising with it. They are great transmissions, I've installed one, but they aren't built for burnouts in a heavy truck or for trailering or heavy loads.
- If you want to stick with a manual trans, google on here for some NV4500 (or even 3500 if light duty use only) swaps.
- If you want to take the leap to an O/D automatic, most go 700R4 or 2004R. I only showed the 700R4, they are similar enough that you get the idea. Goods/others to both transmissions - but the swap is very common.
- Rear gear swap "only" will help highway rpm - but you will definitely feel the difference in the seat of your pants - as in, the thrill is gone. You will lose acceleration in 1st gear. O/D transmissions are great for keeping your bottom end acceleration snappy (most will increase it) and reducing highway rpm. In your case, however, a 4.56 is SO deep that an O/D trans will only do so much for you - AND, probably more importantly, it will almost render 1st gear useless (or even 2nd gear if you have a granny 4 speed) - you'll need to shift at around 5 mph into 2nd (or third in a granny 4 speed!) if you retain the 4.56 rear. Lots of things to consider. The sweet spot is, of course, the most expensive - i.e. O/D trans with 3.73 rear. Best of all worlds and why GM used this combo so often in later years.

So, a lot depends on what you want to do with the truck. Hope this helps! (oh, and by the way, coils were standard for your truck, leafs optional)
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 12-10-2018 at 10:56 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote