View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #25
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: How To Video, LSx Wiring Swap Harness, 99-02 Truck Harness: 4 Wire Hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChris View Post
Where do you think the suppliers get their harnesses? you send them your factory harness and they do what these guys did in the video. the only difference is that you save 500$ only harness that new is from painless and IMO way too expensive. or you can get a bran new harness from GM for 2700$ the wires in my 2000 harness with 200k on it look and feel bran new.
Negative. I send Howell Engine Development $500 and they build me a new harness with new wire, new terminals, new J1 and J2 connectors, new weather pack connectors, new relays, new split loom, ECM tuned to whatever requirements are, etc. And they do it all with new OEM Delphi components. The difference is the small custom harness suppliers like Howell take care in building the harnesses unlike the underpaid 13 year old kid in Mexico that built the production vehicle harness plus you don't need to clutter up your engine bay with the UBEC.

I work with new vehicles every day. These days hard part failures are pretty rare. Where the problems are always found is in the wiring where some lazy assembler at Delphi did a pizz poor crimp or splice. Factory wiring harnesses are terrible. The components are good….the assembly process is terrible.

There is no way a 10 year old – 200K harness looks and feels brand new after that many engine bay hot soaks. I am not buying that one. Heck, you can’t hardly pull a weather pack connector off of a 5 year old vehicle without breaking off the locking tang.

Somebody is going to be able to whittle this…

To this? ..... I don't think so.

This is not to blow holes in Matt's work. They did a great job. I just would not use a factory take out harness if it were me. If you can spare another $500-$700 get a new harness. You won't regret it!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote