View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
1leglance

Re: 70 Burb playing in Utah

Flex for ya here again......the 8.1L motor makes Larry's truck sound so nice crawling up this stuff...but I admit to having my eyes glued to the cab vs cabover lines

Even on the flat there is plenty of eye candy...the way rocks fall from on high and end up in strange positions always gets me. Especially when I notice they could come down RIGHT NOW and join ME on the trail.

And then there is the time perspective the desert gives you....how long much the wind and rain beat on a stone to make this much difference? Longer than I will play in the dirt over my years and I am grateful for the chance to see it all.

We did wave often at the Needles Overlook just in case anyone up there was looking down. And just so they would know NOT to toss any rocks over the edge

Time, that is what goes through my mind out here....how much time it takes to tear about stone and mountain to give me this playground.

Lucky for us the weather held and we only got light sprinkles during our travels on dirt. And that kept the dust down nicely. It was near this time in our run that we came across a college age couple out hiking the Hayduke Trail...a few hundred mile jaunt through killer Utah backcountry using some maps printed off a website. We couldn't interest them in water but popsciles from the fridge sure got a big smile Sorry no pics of them but don't worry they will reappear in our story soon.

Of course with all my deep musing on a geologic scale it didn't take long for signs of man to flat piss me off.

We came across this trailer that would drug out to the middle of nowhere and then somehow tossed on it's top, torn apart, shot up and left to rot...not cool but at least we had fun making up stories about it's adventures.

1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote