View Single Post
Old 03-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
dsraven

Re: My new Beater 1959 GMC

nice find, and history as well. cool.
looks like you are set up for engine swaps now, plus you have the eye in the sky on the roof there. haha.
if you google 55-59 chevrolet truck assembly manual, and pick the tri5 site, you can download the assembly manual for free. it has frame drawings etc in there. really a good resoiurce. I think you will find the frame is the same dimensionally for a half ton and a 3/4 ton so you could simply use the frame you have. if doing a ride height drop, like most MII crossmembers and suspensions will do, you may need to C notch the rear frame over the axleas well to keep the rake angle somewhat normal. in that case, depending on the drop you will want, you could shorten the rear of the frame where you need to in order to achieve the shortbed length and add a c notch in one job. then your rear axle won't bottom on the frame over bumps. you may get 3" above the axle otherwise and that has proven to be the minimum and still may have axle contact if you're not carefull over bumps. anyway, it maybe easier than finding an unmolested shortbed frame. either way, I suggest to do a good frame check for square, sag and straighness before you start working on anything in that regard. the assembly manual has the frame checking dimensions and check points I believe. also the long and short bed dimensions from spring hangers etc. I assume you will use leafs on the rear?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote