View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
LH Lead-Foot

Re: Any ring and pinion guru's out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKotze View Post
Do not use bearing grease to pack the pinion or carrier bearings, it will mess up your torque readings when setting the pre-load. It will also prevent proper lubrication later. Always use clean gear oil to pre-lube.
I have never had a problem with bearing grease as it melts quickly when gear lube hits it AFTER you get out in the road. It has never changed pinion pre-load readings regardless of which you use. Considering the pre-load is set first without a carrier installed, it eliminates the mess of cleaning gear lube running down your shirt. I was taught this in 1974 by a seasoned speed shop tech and later by factory instructor in 1979. Hitachi, Dana and Spicer manuals include the use of grease in the installation of pinion & carrier bearings and especially the outer axle bearings. GL5 is compatible with wheel bearing grease and provides protection to loaded bearing surfaces until the vehicle reaches road speeds during test drive. Everyone has their own opinions, but after working under warranty in dealerships for over a decade or more, never had a come back. I use high temp red RTV on the diff cover without a gasket. While OEM carrier bearing shims are one piece cast, aftermarket shims are not. This is where using the feeler gauge of 0.02" on both sides once backlash is correct, you now have to pre-load the carrier bearings. Adding a 0.04" shim (Or thicker cast shim) is in the factory service manuals. This is done using a differential housing spreader or driver with single cast shims. I use a spreader.
To get a correct pattern, I first check lateral runout in 4 places, the with a bar on the carrier, rotate the pinion at least three time forward to achieve a tooth pattern that is usable for diagnostics and should be done first before disassembly. Coast pattern will fall into place, yet should be checked as well.