View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
theastronaut

I bought my Granddad's '64 this week!

Pretty stoked to be able to keep this one in the family. My granddad bought it in '88, about a year after I was born so it's been around as long as I can remember. It's a '64 short/stepside with a 283 and three speed, small window cab, AM radio, thrift heater, and not much else. Still has the original bed floor in pretty decent shape, and the original paint is underneath a coat of brushed-on house paint that is coming off easily. It's extremely rust free, especially for our area; it's by far the dryest 64-66 I've seen locally. My dad tracked down and installed an aluminum grill, chrome bumpers, 8" rally wheels, and he recovered the seat not long after Papa bought it. I think he may have also rebuilt the steering column/shift linkage. Before the rally wheels it had a set of widened stock wheels with off road tires for more traction when Papa took it on hunting trips.

I'll eventually get it driveable and strip it back to the original paint since the house paint is in really bad shape. I might go back with a set of stock wheels like he used to have on it; I've never been a fan of rally wheels. It's been sitting for around 12 years so it'll need everything gone through to make it reliable.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote