View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
mick53

Re: engine fire surpression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
If your ride is on fire, the finish on the shiny bits should be the last of your concerns. Your first consideration should be looking at rule books or just asking your local track what is required. A quick glance reveals some suppression systems aren’t certified for all sanctioning bodies. If your vehicle isn’t require by the rules to have one then obviously pick what you want.

There are different agents (proper term and is better than chemical) available for use in suppression systems and extinguishers. Clean agents such as FE36, Halotron, etc are the least likely to harm finishes. These clean agents are used in laboratories, computer rooms and other sensitive places. But put something close enough to a nozzle and the finish might be at risk because it is a chemical and when it evaporates it gets real cold. I mention evaporation because these agents are stored as a liquid and spray out the nozzle as a gas. These put the fire out by displacing or sucking out the oxygen in the environment the fire is in. If you have a well vented engine compartment the agent is going to be replaced by incoming air which brings in more oxygen meaning these types of agent only work when the vehicle is stopped or in better sealed spaces.

A quick look at vehicle suppression systems revealed a bunch of AFFF (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) systems. These are a foam that contains Sodium and Acids that can harm finishes depending on the finish and length of exposure. Stainless would be fine and I wouldn’t worry too much about chrome but anything aluminum probably won’t look the same by the time you get it off. But it’s a foam that forms a film on whatever it contacts separating the fuel for the fire from oxygen. This means it’s more effective in well ventilated engine compartments while the vehicle is moving since incoming air can’t push the agent out.
Thanks for the input. I wont be doing any big time racing but might as well do it to specs. I like your point about being on fire. It makes sense that the foam might be better. They are not super expensive and could keep me and the whole truck from burning up. Thank you.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote