View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: The Good, The Bad and Ugly from Harbor Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
the bad, this place and the people that buy from there are the reasons, we make nothing anymore, and why vicegrip is now also not made here..
I will gladly look for made in america,, as I don't want freedom to die without a shot fired,, wake up.
and everyone wonders why unemployment is 17% (the real #)
just keep buy'n junk..
I agree in principle...but how do you expect anyone to own tools if they buy only made in america? That's a serious question. I would have an almost empty tool box if I had only made in the USA tools... I have purchased rigid power tools that at the time I knew were made in the USA, but only because I found them on clearance for SUPER cheap at a Home depot.... (like 75% off for new in box). I purchase used or clearance tools made in usa because that's all I can afford...but the used ones don't provide factory jobs and the clearance ones don't pay the wages needed anyways at the prices I buy

I could get into the economics of this and ways we can compete... but it would be too political and lock an otherwise usefull thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensracing View Post
the good
the bad:
the hundreds and hundreds of dollars spent on other stuff at the store. everything else fell apart right away, and is long gone. I am money ahead by buying non Chinese stuff and paying a bit more. I drive my old truck because its made of quality. I want the same from my tools. it doesnt have to be top of the line, but no more harbor freight for me. I just cant afford it.
Why not just take it back and either get a new one or get a store credit? I won't buy cordless tools or other items that seem cheap by feel and the parts, but I've bought a couple angle grinders for under $10 on sale and have used them for many hours grinding on my nasty frame and suspension and grinding welds down...they held up better than a cheaper dewalt one my buddy had where the discs kept binding to the screw when it got hot...,

And...I a final note...purchased a "made in USA" bridge wet tile saw at Lowes. Got it on sale plus a 10% off coupon....ended up finding the EXACT same one with different paint and label on box but looked at display model and same motor for saw, same blade, and same pump to recirculate water.....and on sale at HF it was $120 less The saw has worked well for three complete bath remodels at my house and four others by friends/family....but I'd rather have paid $120 less for the same thing

Last edited by powerdriver 1958; 12-11-2010 at 02:16 PM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote