View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 AM   #22
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: Installing Air Conditioning in a 71

I reread this post and felt the need to comment. I have talked to a lot of professional automotive A/C guys, particularly Carlisle Air here in San Antonio. Carlisle has promised me that if I let them choose the parts they can make my factory setup colder than any of the after market kits. They achieve this by knowing exactly which crossflow condenser, POA Valve (or orifice tube etc), amount of refrigerant, etc to use. The other key is using an updated compressor such as a Sanden (their opinion). So it wouldn't be completely stock but the firewall and everything inside the cab would look that way. I have seen a couple 67-72 trucks they updated in this way and they were COLD especially for here in South Texas. As a side note the owner of Carlisle air is old freinds with the owner of Vintage Air which is located here in town.

Also the hangup I have with the aftermarket kits is that they are 100% recirculated air, you don't have a choice. This isn't a big problem for a/c but it makes the heat real stuffy and uncomfortable in my opinion. The stock heater set up is 100% outside air. In my part of the world we use both a/c and heat in different times of the year. Summers are 100 degrees and winters can be down in the 20s. The way I see it is the aftermarket kits are awesome if you are dealing with a non-a/c truck, but if you originally had a/c you might be better off keeping a stock style system the key is to matching up all the old and new components to work together. Anyway, those are just some of my thoughts, I plan to update my original system in the way I mentioned above.

48Richard you did a wonderful job at converting yours! Great inspiration for all of us.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com

Last edited by Critter; 12-23-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote