Thread: '61 K10 396ci
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
BILT4ME

Re: '61 K10 396ci

I had a 1960 K10

This one is DEFINITELY a K10 half ton (6 lugs on front and rear)

The front axle is a Dana 44
The transfer case is a divorced Rockwell T221 (three driveshafts)
The rear axle is an Eaton (I think HO52) rear axle.

My truck had a 4.09 rear axle with 4.10 front axle (I thought that was odd)

Looking at the front hubs, they are not original. These have (6) allen head screws holding in the locking hub mechanism. The originals had a snap ring retainer holding them in with what I call a "paddle" style locking mechanism. (Just a straight piece of aluminum that is out further than the rest of the hub....not recessed like this one)

The original Dana 44 on these were the closed knuckle type with drum brakes.

The engine is NOT stock (Mine had a 235 6 cylinder with 4-speed manual).

With that rear axle setup and a 396, the axle wrap-up on the rear axle would be a problem. The stock 6' tall shock supports/spacer created a HUGE lever-arm that when in a lower gear, would cause bad axle wrap-up when accelerating, especially with larger tires (33"+). I had to build ladder bars to keep my rear axle in place.

The best way to do disk brakes on this truck is to replace the entire front axle with a newer front axle. I installed a Dana 44 front axle from a 1975 3/4T and swapped the hubs to a 1/2 ton to maintain the 6 lugs.

I also swapped the rear axle to a 12 bolt corporate from a 1979 Chevy K10. I had to modify the spring pads on the rear by enlarging the spring pad center hole and welding an extra pad to the inside, and the springs are narrower on the 60 than the 79.

The Rockwell T221 is a fairly bulletproof transfer case, but leaks like a sieve. I could NEVER get it to seal properly. Repair parts/replacement parts are expensive now and hard to find.

I also added a sway bar to the front from the 75 3/4 T. This very definitely improved the driveability of it. I also added power steering and power brakes from the 75 3/4T. The power brakes was easy since the MC matched the new axles. The steering gear was a bit more. I cut a piece of the frame from the 75 3/4T and made an adapter plate to BOLT it to the frame of the 1960. I also used the drag link that came with the axle and gear.

I also used a 1969/68 body on my frame rather than the original 60 body because there was nothing but a rolling frame with engine, transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts wired to the frame when I got it. No wiring, brake lines, fuel lines, cooling system, or shocks.

Good Luck!