View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #49
rtinniste

Re: Wtf did i get myself into 51 s10 swap

Been a minute since my last update. Here's some stuff that's been getting done budget has been tight and I'm to the point where I need to start spending money again.

So the whole plan with the truck was to lay the running boards on the ground without dehumping arms or notching the frame.

For mock up i had some s10 take offs from my neighbor the tires were bald showing belts I admit, I screwed up and didn't think about it at all. That a bald tire's overall diameter is going to be smaller. So when I got the new tires on my supreme's and put them on, my truck went from running boards a half inch off the ground to almost 2".

I got fed up ripped my control arms out and dehumped them trimmed a couple spots on the frame and got it to smash the fenders into the ground good. I spent maybe 5 minutes looking at pics online and had a good idea of what to do just by looking at it. I'm happy with how it came out.

Now the front was smashing the fenders in the ground the rear end was sitting stinkbug. You can tell this is where everything started to snowball. Ordered a bolt in c notch from douggies chop shop I really should of just made one oh well.
I need to trim the bump stop pad on the axle since I'm using a blazer axle it has that funky bumpstop pad and that's whats holding me up from getting lower. But I'm alot happier with the stance now.

Then hit another issue after getting it lower, it drags in my garage and I cant get a jack under it. I'm used to this tho the Infinti had a whole process when I was static. As of now the truck is on jack stands waiting for bags and brackets from Jason and thorbros should be here on the 11th

The latest update from yesterday went riding in the morning came home and cooked up dinner. Then decided to work in the garage a little. Since I'm going to run a tank under the bed no need for the old gas cap on the cab. Originally I wanted to make it a bottle opener but decided screw it I'm shaving it.

Well the metal yard isn't open Sunday's and I had to go to Lowes anyway I picked up some metal there. All they had was 16g and the cab when I measured was about 20g.

So here's how I made my patch the hole for the filler neck is 3". 16g is to thick to cut with hand sheers and I don't own a nibbler etc. Figured i can use a hole saw to cut a perfectly round patch. Well taking into account the OD of the hole saw is slightly smaller and taking into account of the wall thickness of the hole saw.

3-1/4" holesaw was perfect, so threw a 2x6 on my drill press clamped the sheet metal to that set the rpm as low as it will go took the pilot drill out of the arbor set the table height as high as I can.

5 minutes later had a perfectly round patch panel a little fine tuning for a hand file the fit was dead on. Took me maybe a hour from start to finish I have to grind the welds today since it was to late to grind anything.

This was my first attempt doing anything that thin of metal everything I read online made patch panels sound like a nightmare, only annoying thing is rapid tacking and making sure to spread the heat around took forever, I couldn't imagine doing a entire quarter panel. Up next shaving fire wall and figuring out a trans tunnel.

rtinniste is offline   Reply With Quote