View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Cleaning up engine bay wiring harness questions.

Well you posted at midnight last night and later today so we may not have seen your thread. There are 50K members on this forum so 100 views isn't so much.

What you are considering is doable but I would not use a one-wire alternator, and I would not wire the alternator output to the starter cable. In fact I have done almost the same thing you are contemplating except I don't have EFI and the air compressors.

You have your buss bar located under the battery tray and mine is where the external regulator mounted. My alternator is mounted on the right side of the engine and I ran my wires from it to the buss bar. I have the 100 amp three wire alternator so I made a harness to run the wires down the front of the block to the right frame rail and over to the buss bar. I re-clocked the alternator to the six o'clock position so the wires were hidden and also easier to run without looping them over the water pump or down to the frame.

As far as the one-wire alternator goes, with the current loads you have I don't think it will do the job. The voltage sensing for the internal regulator is taken right at the alternator so you may see lower voltage downstream in the harness. With the three wire, the voltage sensing wire can be connected to the buss bar. Also I would use a CS 144 or even an ad 244 for the air bags.

I didn't have the gauges or the 4 amp fuse holders in my harness so that wasn't a factor.
I unwrapped the harness and removed the soldered junction along with the EVR wires, except for the alternator exciter 16 gauge brown wire which I ran to the buss bar, and then to the internally regulated alternator. You will want to upgrade the alternator output wire to at least an 8 gauge wire to the buss bar or to the starter.

You must have relays for the fuel pump, and the compressors, and for the fans. You will probably want to upgrade to the headlight relays as well, and even a relay for the ignition switch.
What ignition system do you have?

Here's my buss bar.

Name:  temperature gauge 005.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  71.9 KB

The new harness routing.

Name:  temperature gauge 006.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  73.6 KB

The alternator wiring.

Name:  temperature gauge 007.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  45.9 KB

and the engine.

Name:  temperature gauge 008.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  55.3 KB

I was going to run the main harness under the left inner fender, but it wouldn't reach so i ran it along the left frame rail.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote