View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: What's hiding in the tool box part two

Blackhawk 1155 long pick hammer. Blackhawk was bought out by Stanley Tools in the mid 1950’s then became part of the Proto line when Stanley bought Proto in the 1980’s time frame.

Porter Ferguson BH-2 short pick hammer, both hammers are the same just different handles. I have three of these BH-2 pick hammers.

Porter Ferguson BH-7 long pick hammer.

Porter Ferguson BH-2 short pick hammer on top versus the BH-7 long pick hammer on bottom. Both hammer faces are the same but the pick end is different as you can see.

Porter Ferguson BHR-12 shrinking hammer. I’m not a fan of shrinking hammers as they are merely a gimmick but am one more hammer closer to having the complete Porter Ferguson hammer set. The idea behind the serrations is to put small pick like dents in the metal essentially causing a drawing effect or tightening of the metal. Unfortunately, they don’t shrink metal.

A different spin on the shrinking hammer concept is this Ecora shrinking hammer. I know very little about this hammer or the company.

The head is a two piece design with the striking face being encased in rubber. The two piece design allows the shrinking head to be somewhat free floating and rotate ever so slightly.

The Porter Ferguson BHR-12 on the left and the Ecora on the right. The idea is to twist the hammer as you strike the metal so the face gathers the metal together. A similar hammer to the Ecora is currently on the market with an internal cam which rotates the head as you hit the hammer. None of the designs work so avoid the shrinking hammer trap.

Fairmount 153-S straight chisel shrinking hammer. Has the same serration pattern as the P-F BHR-12 shown above.

Some what of a unique shrinking hammer as both faces have serrations, typically one side is serrated and the other is smooth. Am guessing the hammer is a Herbrand because it looks just like the BF-2 I have and the same exact size.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote