View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #4056
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifalcon View Post
...I'm by far an expert in the matter or methods of diagnosing engine issues.. But, that definitely has that "hollow" sound that you mention which sould not be indicative of anything in the valvetrain.. I think you should just pop the oil pan off and see what's going on..
I wish it was that easy to pop the oil pan off. I have to raise the engine up at least 2 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
alan, i was thinking that it might be something in the oil pan, but i dont know what kind of oil pan you are using! if its a stock oil pan then its going to rub, the stroke on a 400 is different then a 350
Yeah I clearanced the oil pan for that. At least I thought I had it good enough, but don't remeber rechecking it after I bolted it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
I would chk the flex plate for cracks first as that is a lot simpler than pulling the pan and finding nothing wrong there and then find it was the flex plate
ron
I looked at it and didn't see anything that looked like a crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracing15 View Post
Eaxust looks awesome! It's hard to tell from the video bu, that does not sound like a loose rod or main. That does sound like something is hitting something low. Sorry u haveing this trouble. But I think it's going to be easy to fix once u find the noise. Good luck man.
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Alan if you shoot me a PM with a good mailing address I will send you an old sthescope. People rotate thru Military hospitals every 6 months, new in-old out and providers tend to leave things like these behind so I have quite a few of them.
I use it every once in a while with a long metal rod just to "listen in" on my engines.

If you would like I will shoot one off to ya.
thanks!! I might take you up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbrown View Post
Alan , I diagnose that stuff all the time and a 3 ft piece of hose heald to the ear and touching the areas that you think the sound is coming from will tell you real quick where it is coming from .. also a handy way to find loose rockers ... but if it is hitting the pan or the baffle you should be able feel it with your hand on the pan... good luck my friend ,I have been through that before...
I'll give that a shot, never tried a hose before. Thanks

Haven't been able to fool with it. Most of the reason is no time, but some of it is I don't want to. Kind of disheartening. I'll power thru it.

has anyone use this type of oil pan gasket? My block falls into the year range for this gasket, but I read tonight it is for a thin front gasket, and I believe I have a thick one I'm not really sure. I thought it might be easier to deal with under the trruck.
Attached Images

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote