View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #249
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogshooter View Post
I have seen studies done with welded samples in salt spray where metal coupons were sprayed with various anti corrosion compounds then exposed to the salt spray in a special chamber and the coupons that were sprayed with epoxy and then welded had less rust creep than any weld through primer that was tested. I usually spray the entire new part, flanges to be welded and areas that with be enclosed after welding. Before I weld I clean off the primer in the area to be welded by using a drill bit I ground flat. After welding I use a brush to let epoxy run into the welded flange then seam seal. When I have the project painted I use 3M Rustfighter "I" with a long wand to spray inside all enclosed areas (rockers, cab supports ect.) this is the closest we can get to OEM corrosion protection short of dipping the parts. Rustfighter I is a wax based solution that is self healing and runs for several days, that is the reason you have to wait until a painting is done. The way you are doing the repairs will work fine (I would still use a drill bit and clean the weld through primer out of the weld area since the primer just burns off in the plug weld anyway).
Huh. Thanks for that very detailed response; it is very interesting. It makes sense that you would apply the epoxy primer and then remove it from the area you are welding. That is the part I was missing; I thought you were telling me to apply the epoxy and weld through it.

I will have to think about that step. While I intend to plug weld in the areas where I have pre-existing holes from removing the floor, I also hope to use my spot welder, assuming it fits in the area I need to weld. My issue is that I am not sure I know exactly where I will be welding prior to having the floor installed. I am not sure I want to go through the steps of installing the floor, marking off the welding areas, removing the floor, cleaning the paint off, and reinstalling the floor. But it is something to think about.

Very nervous about doing the plug welds. Not my strong suite, and I certainly don't want to screw up a $500 floor panel. Hopefully I can get someone I know to help with that step.

Thanks!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote