View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #113
54belair

Re: My grandsons 68 stepper

Ive spent some time finding and buying the connectors I need for the new wiring harness. While I was close(!) I decided it was time to install the accelerator pedal. I had decided some time ago to go with the hanging pedal like on the 71-72 rather than the floor mounted older style.
I had bought the adapter plate for mounting the new style pedal some time ago (now I had to find it), but I didn't care for the throttle "cable" instead of the old style "rod", and I wasn't fond of still another hole in the firewall.

So, while Im waiting on wiring components I decided to marry the two accelerator brackets. I measured the length I wanted, marked both pedal arms for the cut and started whacking.
To make sure the pedal stayed in the correct orientation with the arm while I welded them back together, I slotted both cut rod ends and inserted a pc of sheet metal in the cuts. Then with the rotational placement correct all I had to do was use a magnet while I welded to insure axial straightness.

Before welding the two ends I beveled them quite a bit and built the bevel back with weld. After welding it took some time grinding and filing the rod smooth. Primered and painted the rod to match. Now all I have to do is remove the actual pedal, stick it thru the hole and bolt it up.

I took a few pics along the way----- Im currently waiting on my new glasses--and Im using $2.00 wal mart readers--so the focus wasn't the best. Hopefully you can get the gist of what I did. Start to finish--including paint---bout 1 1/2 hours.
Attached Images

1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote