View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
COBALT

Re: '99 Tahoe Starting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
please make sure you sure an ac delo pump or one from the gm dealers
You're suggesting the fuel pump is going?

I managed to squeeze the right info out of the wife, and she clarified the situation. Today the thing wouldn't start. Turn the key and click just like before. She gets another jump from someone and looses all of the power to the rig - lights, clock, locks, everything. She turns the key and nothing. The only thing strange is that she can hear a very loud and distinct clicking going on down by the e-brake handle under the driver's side dash (since I wasn't there I was on the cell with her at the time and I could HEAR the clicking over the phone).

After she hangs up with me the AAA guy shows up and remotes starts the rig directly at the starter, but someone has to sit in it and keep their foot on the gas to keep it running (my wife). The idea is the guy wanted it backed down the hill to a flat spot. It doesn't get far enough and the engine dies. My wife (the one in the driver's seat) decides to try and start it again before the AAA guy can reconnect the remote starter and....it fired right up.

I think the clicking noise was the relays under the hood. That's where the fuel pump relay and the starter relay are located. However, I have people telling me that those relays are probably fine - the fact that I lost power to the cab is most likely the core of the problem. Someone mentioned the Body Control Module (in the center console???). I have an OBD II scanner and I'm going to take a look at the codes tomorrow. Hopefully they're still in there. Otherwise we'll be waiting for this to happen again.

I don't think it's the fuel pump. However, I did buy a spare starter relay to plug in just in case.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 03-14-2010 at 06:02 AM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote