View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #67
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

My guess is, the same brain surgeon that forgot the converter bolts didn't tighten the three timing sprocket bolts...and you can assume he's the same guy that did the rest of the engine. It's time for a full engine disassembly and inspection. At a minimum you'll be finding circular score marks on the inside of the timing chain cover, or something similar. To make yourself feel better about all of the work, check the torque specs on the bolts. They're probably all over the place. Leave the heads together, don't take the pistons off of the rods and leave the freeze plugs in unless you find something screwy or you decide to have the castings hot-tanked.

There's plenty of YouTube on the assembly (e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIslf3ANTs), but if you're not comfortable with this level of work, do the disassembly yourself. Keep track of the location of EVERY push rod, lifter, piston, etc. Clean everything, then buy some steaks and invite a knowledgeable friend over for a Saturday of fun. Keep the beer in the fridge until your done. (Man, I wish I lived closer. I like mine medium-rare...)

Don't rent the tools until you find out what your friend will bring. Then go to AutoZone and they will lend you most of what you need for free.
Thanks for the video link. I'll be doing my research before I start to rip things apart. I'm still contemplating on what to do with the engine. I still have the guys phone number I bought the truck from. I was thinking of giving him a call to discuss the situation. But its not like he would be honest with me this time right since he already got his money. But it might be a little beneficial to hopefully get some more information out of him if he would be entirely honest this time. If I have to junk the block then it's junk. If it was truly rebuilt then there should be no problem right?

Hell if all it takes is some cold beer and steaks your a mighty good neighbor. I'm firing up the bbq now lol.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote