View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #68
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
Great advice. If you find two things that were not done right, there are bound to be many more. And if for nothing else, it will provide peace of mind and confidence that you know what you have after the engine has been gone through.
It might need an entire tear down I dont know yet. I have good oil pressure, I will do a compression test and check the plugs and go from there.

One thing that I did notice a long time ago when I went to turn the motor over before dropping the distributor in was the crank bolt was missing. It was also stripped out because I tried to put the proper bolt in and it would thread in then spin. So I bought a helicoil kit and drilled it out, tapped it and put in the proper crank bolt.

So there is a small indicator right there. He might have put in a new cam but in the process stripped out the crank and left it and removed the bolt.

As far as I'm aware in order to fix that issue you need to pull the crank and take it to a machine shop and have them re-drill it to a larger size and make sure it's straight. Hence tearing the motor down.

When we fired up the motor trying to figure out what the noise was we were looking at the belts the bottom pulley was shaking a little bit. So apparently I didnt drill it straight enough for the helicoil so i pulled the bolt out for now.

Thinking back on it the other dozen times we started the truck there was no issue before that I would have noticed. But could the crooked re-tap cause the crank to get all out of wack? Could it have damaged the balancer? now I have this noise?

Something to think about. Also I can put the bolt back in and out no problem because the hellicoil is holding but I dont think the bolt can stay in there permanently. Can you run the 350 without a bolt holding the balancer on? I mean it's pressed on so it should hold? Then the pulley bolts to the
balancer.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote