View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #118
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
Truck is looking good!
Thank you! Glad to hear it!

I've since sourced an OEM distributor clamp and bolt off of one of my previous TBI engines. The bolt ended up being too long with that guide tip, so I had to find another one and paint it, too. I also cleaned up and painted the thermostat housing at the same time.

I went and dug through my 67 Camaro and found the old points cap I used to run on the car before I sold the engine and transmission out of it to prep for restoration. This shares the same dimensions as my MSD cap, so I cut this one up for my rotor phasing setup. Eventually I will need another terminal style cap, but this will do just fine for pre-setup! The hole is located at the #1 terminal.

What happened to my shiny new distributor?

Not bad for a drop in guess! As you can see, the rotor is advanced (sitting to the left of the terminal)

I was having trouble getting it to focus in being this close, but you can see that the rotor tip is now centered inside the #1 terminal. At this point, I can snug the distributor body down, my timing is set.

Now, to do a quick double check, I backed the crankshaft off until the reluctor wheel lined up with the hall effect sensor in the distributor.

And now, lets check what it's sitting at...looks like it landed on 48*BTDC, which is pretty dang close, most specs will list 50*BTDC as the starting point. This will get fine tuned when I have the engine running and lock in the timing with the EFI, but we are dead on the money to get it up and running now!

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote