View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
ryanroo

Re: 8.1 Vortec for the project.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
True, sort of…. Edelbrock probably uses the same supplier base (mainy Delphi) or at least Chinese equivalents, for injectors and sensors as GM. The Edelbrock ECM is not an automotive production piece and I very seriously doubt Edelbrock has millions of test miles and hours into durability testing their ECMs. ProFlo is probably a decent piece for running around town but I wouldn’t rely on Edelbrock, Holley, MSD or any of the aftermarket electronic modules for travels out in the boonies.

You know, I had a 2005 Silverado HD with a 6.0L and it got the same mileage as the 8.1L. In fact, the 6.0L got worse mileage when it had a trailer behind it. Not sure what kind of mileage you expect you are going to get out of your project regardless what engine you use. If fuel mileage is a big concern for you, you picked a horrible hobby to be in my friend

My '04 was a 6.0l truck. in the high elevation with no real big hills, i saw 18.8 MPG once and commonly saw 17.5-18 unloaded. i was realy happy with that. put a trailer on it, and i was lucky to see 12. it has a nice Blackbear tune in it. before the tune it was a 13MPG truck. for the amount of time i towed/hauled with it, it was the perfect engine after the tune. if i keep my other K20 i am really considering a 6.0 for it. also considering a Dmax or a CR 5.9... i love big blocks, but i am tired of using them as commuters.

Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote