View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #175
67c10rustbuket

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Any tips and tricks anyone can share about using the spot welder? Dan, I think you have one, right?

Any tips and tricks about doing spot welds with the MIG welder anyone can share? There are places I need to spot weld where the spot welder cannot reach. My plan was to drill a hole in one piece of metal, and use the MIG welder over the hole.
Hey D, We have a spot welder at work but it is stationary. Ours has a few adjustments on it: weld time,squeeze time, and amperage. There is a dummy chart on the side just like most Mig welders. Make sure your work is clamped tight because it will occasionally slide the two pieces around. I want to get one at home, maybe ... I have half a mind to cut out my floor and do a whole floor replacement rather than patch up the remaining passenger side.

When using a mig to spot weld (plug weld aka rosette weld?) punch or drill a 1/4" hole in the top piece for sheetmetal,(larger holes depending on thickness) and remove any paint, dirt,rust , etc on top and between the surfaces and most importantly crank the heat setting on your mig up a bit. Try a couple practice pieces first.

Looking good keep at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
No work tonight, we have tickets to the Yankees game. Let's go Yankees! Any Diamondbacks fans in the house?
Did you say Yankees?! I have been to a few stadiums but not that one, My wife went to the old Yank stadium.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote