View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #21
zac

Re: Did front axle swap--front end now bounces and wobbles under braking

Noticed after the wheels were actually balanced and front end aligned, truck pulls left when braking. That was new. Lots of brake dust on the left front wheel, way too much considering that was the new, unbent one that had been on for less than 100 miles. Put new pads on. Checked for runout on both rotors, on more than one spot. None.

Still the wobble, but stopped straight ahead. Driveable now, just not much fun. Put about 120 miles on it over a couple days in normal, mixed driving--the first time I'd really been able to do it since this all started. Every time I came to a stop, "that's rotors" is all I could think. Finally found an O'Reillys that had two in stock, put them on, problem solved. Not just better, day and night difference. Smooth, straight stops.

Not sure how I could have done this differently. 40 years of abuse and neglect, and then I decided to make it a daily driver. Where are you supposed to start? I worked my ass off this year welding, engine building, wiring, fixing gauges, lights, etc. etc. etc. All the problems I had at the end here popped up when I did the axle swap. Obviously there were a lot of things going on other that just the rotors. Bad tires, bent wheel, bad alignment. I guess you just plow through it. Mixing new, good used and repro parts. Bound to be issues, I guess.

Thanks for everyone's input and help. So my truck had problems when braking, and it turned out to be rotors. Go figure. This truck was the warmup/guinea pig for what I really want to work on, a '70 K10 Suburban, so I will be back with more stupid problems I suppose. I've got a disc brake D44 for it that I pulled off a '72. I'll probably get new rotors....
Attached Images

zac is offline   Reply With Quote