View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
pumpkin

Re: 7200# rear axle (HO72) extreme application

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROSTBITE406 View Post
Im pretty sure i have been told the HO72 EATON comparable to the 14 bolt. The 14 bolt is a newer design that replaced the HO72. The only real problem with the HO72 is there is not really any aftermarket products. I run the HO72 but i have not had the hp to put it to the full test. With my planned 472 big block hopefully going in this comming spring i will see how she holds up.
From what I've been able to find out, the difference between the ho 52 and ho72 is that the ho72 has an adjustable deflection bushing directly opposite the pinion gear, so the ring gear cannot deflect away. I would say the ho52 is comparable to a 14 bolt, and the ho 72 is just a bit better. I've been colecting these rear ends for a while now, and have picked them up from 3/4 ton to 3 ton trucks. I do believe, like all things that are built too good, they just stopped making them because they were way stronger than needed. I don't know how they would hold up in major extreme use, but I would use one over a 14 bolt or dana 70. I am not familiar with a dana 80.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote