View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #68
jeffahart

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post

Kinda like it without a bumper!

---
Ya, that was my initial thoughts also. Plus I really like having access to the drum. When I got the winch my first instinct was to build a bumper to get the winch up higher,which would require it to stick out, like you usually see. But I really like it tucked back inside.

Now I'm back to considering building a minimalist iron bumper. I always liked the builtin iron hawses, like on a deuce and half and the old Power Wagons.

I may go that route still, especially since the PO cut the fenders for big mudders. The cut fenders would fit the look of a custom iron bumper. I still plan to fix the fender some day when I paint. But hey, this thing is more of a hobby for me than anything else, so I'm likely to change things up.

I would make a cross between these two below. One's a deuce ones a power wagon. Notice how the iron is attached for hawse, I really like that.

A deuce bumper
Name:  s-l1000.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  48.0 KB

A Power Wagon bumper. It bottom winds but still check out hawse method. Plus these bumpers leave an open center section, which is what I'm really looking for.
Name:  Winch.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  51.1 KB