Thread: soda blasting
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Wgesnerjr

Re: soda blasting

Just had my truck done by two different blasters with two TOTALLY different results.

The first guy got my core support and fender wells as a test. He used straight sand to blast and damaged the metal to the point that it felt rough to the touch. Once primed, it looked like a million tiny peck marks. Sanding the core support was not fun and took a LONG time, but I got the roughness down to a bearable. Unless you look a the underside of the hood latch support then you can see it. My stuff was damaged but not warped. Decided he was not my guy to blast.

The second guy was blasting Camaro parts the day I came by. He did the frame and front a-arms with GREAT results. He said he does sheet metal but worried that my 80's metal was thinner than the stuff from the 60'; so he would have to spend extra time as to not warp anything. The media he uses is "StarBlast" and he wound up spending a total of 6 hours on my truck. (cab, bed, fenders, 3 doors-1 was extra, tailgate, cowl panel and grill panel)

Everything went fine except the hood. He made no guarantees with it because I previously epoxy primed but did not do a good job. Rust came back through the epoxy so I knew it would have to be blasted. He tried many passes without much luck. He called with the news and asked what I wanted to do. Figuring it was useless as it was, I had him lay into it with the blast gun and try to get through the epoxy. He got through it, but it warped. Had I left it alone and gave it to him bare and rusty, it would have been fine.

The body shop could not save it. They found a replacement for $260 that fit great. It's painted and in final assembly now!

So do your homework and find someone experienced. Talk about media and time. Both will cost more money. Ask to see their other work. That was the difference between good and bad work in my case.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote