View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Kevin45

Re: 4L60E Trans Shifts hard from 1st to 2nd?

It's characteristic for the 4L60E to shift hard between 1 and 2. You can, and I would, recommend a shift improver kit. It helped mine immensly. When I first got the truck, with the way it shifted, I figured the tranny would not last long. But everyone that I talked to said they had the same problems with that particular tranny. When I redid my engine and had the tranny out, we added the kit. Later on I decided to rebuild the tranny as I had it out of the truck again. One thing I did notice, and I am not sure what it is called, but it is the drum that the clutch pack sets into, was belled out a little at the top and closer inspection revealed that it was cracked. My nephew who is a certified mechanic said that he has seen that quite a bit in the 4L60E's. from what I seen, it is or appears to be, cheaply made from the factory. But the shift improver kit did help a lot and was worth it. I'm just glad I looked at rebuilding the tranny later on though. And one thing to remember.....the kit is a "shift improver" and not a "shift kit" like used to be put in the Turbo 350's and Turbo 400's. This kit will smooth the 1-2 shift and not make a neck snapping shift.

Kevin