View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #208
OrrieG

Re: Found my Great-Grandfathers 1959 GMC Apache

Time for the list:

1. Document everything. I photo my disassembly. I now print out the photos and put them in a binder in case the original format changes (got caught on that with my first two year teardown on video camcorder format). On somethings I make sketches in a notebook to explain the photos.
2. As you take things a part bag and tag them. It also helps to clean as you go, so when you start reassembly you can just open and assemble. I store the individual bags in coffee cans by sub assembly (front clip, engine, bed, cab inside, doors, etc.). I have two big tubs, one for the uncleaned parts and one for finished stuff.
3. Keep a note book handy. Use it to document stuff you find is missing, stuff you need to buy, stuff you need to figure out.
4. Keep your receipts organized. Never know when you might need to figure out where that part came from. I have an excel spread sheet that lists the supplier, store or shop; what the part or work was; and what it cost.
5. Do NOT track your time, it will drive you crazy and get you depressed.
6. In your note book have a section on your teardown and rebuild sequence. Note critical path milestones that will cause work to stop. Break down big tasks in to workable small tasks so you do not get overwhelmed and disappointed in your progress.
7. Look at the build threads here to get a reasonable handle on how long it takes to do stuff. It ranges from guys like me that are taking years to the pros that knock out a truck in 4-6 weeks with a shop full of employees and support suppliers, fabricators, etc. In my build thread I try to list the time it takes me to do something so others will have realistic expectations.
8. Ask questions, lack of knowledge is not a bad thing. It is better to ask and do it right than have to ask how to fix the screw up. This is a very good group of guys otherwise I would not stay here; I have bailed on half a dozen car sites because of the bs and back biteing.
9. Two signs I have in my shop “If you don’t have time to do in right, how are you going to have time to do it over?” and “Some people have a shrink, I have my garage”. Both put it into perspective. I was impatient as a youth, I now know when to take a break. It is amazing how clear some things become when you just let them sit and come back later. I have multiple task lists so I do not get bogged down doing one thing. I am currently doing final body work and blocking, takes a lot of time and can be mind numbing boring. I alternate one day for body work, one day for something else.
10. Buy good tools, crappy ones just hurt your body and mess stuff up. I have the same set of Craftsman tools I bought in 1973 (actually my third set the other two were stolen). Along the way I have accumulated more. I am on my third ½” rachet under the lifetime warranty. Most of mine I have gotten at yard and estate sale, good tools do not wear out (my flaring tool is from the 30’s, I use my great grandfathers carpentry tools some from the 1800’s, and I got a great set of micrometers and dial indicator set from a retiring machinist in the 80’s for a song because the guy liked my attitude!). Harbor Freight has its place for tools that will not be used much. If you are going to use them a lot (die grinders, da sanders, drills, 4” grinder etc.) buy good quality. Same with expendables like drill bits and hacksaw blades.

Also primer is NOT waterproof, in fact it will attact and hold moisture causing rust. It is used because it is cheap. If you want the primer look you will end up using finish paint with flattener to dull it out.