View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
mr48chev

Re: triangular four link & 72 firebird sub frame on a 56 chevy truck

One of my running buddies has done about 25 subframe jobs over the past 20 or so years.

Here is how he does it. This puts the truck real low but by blocking the subframe off the shop floor at stock Camaro ride height (about 6-1/2 inches give or take) and blocking the frame up behind it at the static ride height you want it to be at when you are done you can end up with the desired ride height with stock springs and spindles. I did my 51 Merc that way and it came out exactly where I wanted it. A bit of compensation for tire height might be in order if you are planning on real tall tires. Cutting the back end of the subframe rails off and butting it into the frame might be cleaner but this method gives a full solid frame that isn't going to fail. Note that the frame rails and the subframe rails are exactly parallel. This is an absolute must when you do a subframe job no matter what some self styled experts expound about adding caster by tilting the subframe. The guys that say that never built and drove one.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote