View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #156
joedoh

Re: 1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

now comes the times when I need more hands. without any forethought at all, I had all daughters. not only do they abhor giving any help on rusty trucks but they also stopped bringing their boyfriends around because they disappear into the garage with me at the first ring of a hammer on steel, like catholics to a church bell, slavering to grind and weld and just talk shop. sometimes the boyfriends still come around as just regular guys, one guy I consider a true son-in-law makes the 60 mile trek to help when he can, without any promise beyond a hot sandwich and a cold pop. I am almost a complete teetotaler lately, a man can have only so many vices and I already have a wife and a truck.

so I do the running boards and bed installs with my adopted sons (floor jacks). everything lined up really well but 77 years had taken their toll on the running board mounts.

IMG_8729 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_8730 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_8732 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_8733 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

those holes are where the mounts you cant see are. I whipped up some 1x2 mounts and tacked the bolts in the right spot.

54327441893__4B93E526-95F8-4F60-BDE8-28F8B4C58861 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then it was a simple matter of trimming the factory running board mounts (that I thoughtfully chopped off the old frame) and welding them to the frame. I had to make sure to get the bed aprons in the right spot and level, on the last truck I put the bed on first and it was a nightmare trying to get the running boards to line up with the cab and the bed. this should be easier. at the current depth I will only lose a 1/2 inch out of the bed depth

IMG_8736 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I got the drivers side done and bolted. I took a break between sides and drilled out the bulb holders on the clearance lights. The s10 harness has a 10w slave corner light bulb that only lights when the parking lights are on and flashes opposite the turn signal bulb, I figure that will be just the right look on the roof.

IMG_8516 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

on the last truck 2" spacers were too much on the front, but I found the set I had on the shelf and tried em out, knowing the wheels had different backspacing and the tires were a tiny bit narrower (215 instead of 225). whaddaya know, they fit. you can see I jacked the wheel up to check the clearance.

IMG_8739 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_8740 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_8741 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

its spring break so my youngest is home all week but I am still managing to get things done in fits and spurts between chasing her around the house like a dinosaur and backyard swing sessions. I have been considering my next project and I think I will go boring with just a 49 GMC 100 shortbed and save the neat new idea I have been hinting about for the fall build schedule.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote