View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #19
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Re: Tahoe Limited - New Daily Driver

Time for a Tahoe update.... You ever just get a feeling you should look under your dash? I found something that made me cuss the PO for a bit.....

My 99 had a Dealer installed VHS with over head screen. VHS player was under back seat. The Dealer or someone of no electrical smarts what so ever installed this kit. For Power they used the Ignition power wires..... no fuses... and scotch locks.... SO the PO that I bought the Tahoe from had an audio shop install his amp and subs. They ran the wires down the drivers side. When they reinstalled the door sill plate, one of the screws must have caught the VHS power wire. Was most likely all good and well until someone flipped the switch on the dash to power the VHS player..... I'll bet this smoked like crazy... why it was not removed is beyond me.. but hey, I took it all out... and repaired the nasty wire job. From what I can tell the power wires for VHS melted and stopped the potential burn to the ground it was headed for....

After this was over, I already had the drivers seat removed so figured I would go ahead and fix the failed attempt of the new seat cover installation. As you can see it fit horrible. Was told it was new cover and foam... ya no new foam just cover.

it was not stretched out right at all, and moved around on the old foam as you can see here.

This is what I found once removed...

Ordered up a new foam from Amazon.

Cut a little card board to place over the metal edge to help save the new foam from cutting over time... at least this works in my head

Stretched our and fitted much much nicer than old foam.

Sits nice and firm now

So then on to the next "fix" I am just buying time here guys. This is by no means a final fix. I just didn't want it to pop and have a giant hole. My methods may not be exact, but again, better in my own mind.

If you don't think trucks rust from inside out.. well they do and here is the proof

I didn't get a photo of the welded area with paint removed before I got the filler out. I wanted it to set up so I could sand it the next night.

went with PPG Color Match to the Onyx Black. I wet sanded and went back over it again with clear, wet sanded again and buffed it in. The clear coat sucks.. and I'll be going back over that again when I have time. The color match was great.

bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote