View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #86
jocko

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

[QUOTE=hb32;4946131]Working on a T5 install for my 55 2nd series and keeping the 235.
I had to slightly contour the upper passenger side case and drill all 4 mounting holes out to 1/2 inch. I am using a spacer so I won`t have to trim the input shaft or retainer.

hb, I noticed you solved the problem of actually getting the upper bolt on the pax side into the hole with a grinder! I had to do some similar stuff as well on my T5. One thing I found that helped tremendously in the actual install was to use a allen head bolt instead of a hex head because it's darn near impossible to get a wrench around that hex head half inch bolt. Here's a quick pic. I still had to grind the bolt head circumference a little to get it into the hole (i.e. just like you had to grind the case a little - either way works). But once in the install process, the allen head bolt saved the day because you can easily get an allen wrench on it.

Another thing I ran into (never realized that on these old trucks the lower 2 trans mount bolts actually were installed from fwd to aft, i.e. pointing aft and the lower holes are not tapped in the bell - they are actually tapped in the trans, duh...) - but when I installed my astro van pressure plate - I noticed it was significantly thicker than the original (which is ok because the kit's release bearing is proportionately thinner also, so it all comes out in the wash) - but the end result was there was no way I could insert the bolts pointing backwards because when it's all together, the pressure plate is in the way. But it was ok, I just reversed it so the nut is now inside the bell hsg. Doesn't really matter since the T5 is not tapped like our old truck trans's are and you have to use a bolt/nut arrangement, which I see you already have. but just wanted to comment becasue I didn't discover that I couldn't get a bolt in from the front side of the bell due to a thicker pressure plate than my original until I actually was into the install and all greasy already - had to get up and make my 87th trip to the local hardware store for a new bolt...
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 10-10-2011 at 10:14 PM.