View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #6
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Change rear window to manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffydores View Post
I spent yesterday evening working on my electric tailgate. I thought the switch key was bad, but turned out to be a fuse. New key switch came with the proper seal to stop water from screwing up the switch.. It's actually really simple to work on. We converted this tailgate from a manual. I would never recommend going to manual when having the benefit of a dash switch.
Good info on the switch coming with the new seal. I've got the opposite outlook on the manual/electric debate. My 75 was manual. Once I pulled it apart and replaced the wiped out rollers on the regulator I could raise/lower with one finger on the crank. I could always get it to the rear with a load of camping gear back there.

Fast forward to my 91 project. I ran through the same stuff to lube the regulator and slides. Wouldn't work from either switch. Wiring was butchered by a Previous owner. I could jump it and make it go either way, but wiring issues were problematic. Then it dawned on me. If I had a load of gear packed up to the tailgate I wouldn't be able to use the cordless drill maneuver to open the window. At least without unloading enough gear from in front of the gate and crawling back there. I don't get to go wheeling/camping enough and I was certain I didn't want a trip to get off track (no pun intended) by not getting to the gear.

So I retrograded my 91 gate back to manual specs with the parts from my old 75. Swapped right across. No more worrying if I can get into the back of my Blazer or not. Just have to lubricate every now and then to keep the rollers from getting worn flat on one side.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote