View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
CaptainMorgan_SOS

Re: Cost of repop vs OE

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
I think repop gives the clueless instant gratification..The OeM parts are for the guys that are as much addicted to "working on the trucks/parts as they are to drivin them....
Not necessarily. I just picked up a repop cowl hood for my 67 GMC since they were never "original." I also picked up repop 67 front fenders as well since the ones I had were pretty beat up from a front end wreck and I couldn't fathom paying $500 each for original fenders that still needed work.

Yes, OEM trim and little trinkets are cool, but not always necessary. It just really depends on how the person is wanting to build their truck. If its already a mismatch of parts and has been modified throughout the years (like mine was), I don't think there is anything wrong with repop stuff; just make sure you get a good brand or you will fight the parts tooth-and-nail in order to get them to fit.

As for the question of price though, I would pay close to the retail price of an original part, and maybe more in some cases, than I would for a repop. I picked up some NOS vent window trim for my 67 for a pretty penny, but that's just what I had to do in order to keep with the one-year-only vent windows. I could have switched to 68-72 reproduction vent windows, but I liked the idea of keeping that little touch that differentiated mine from the rest of the crowd.
CaptainMorgan_SOS is offline   Reply With Quote